Saturday 11 June 2011

Recipe: Curried Quinoa Salad

Hello lovelies!

Normal service on Sparkle and Shade will be slowly resuming over the next few weeks - my interviews for my GTP took place earlier this week and I'll be hearing back on the 20th whether I have a place in a school or not so I'm nowhere near as stressed out as I was. Hopefully that means I'll be able to focus a little more on a blogging and exercising and a little less on a silly cycle of stress!

Today I'm going to be sharing my current favourite lunch - Curried Quinoa Salad! It was Kate from Embrace Nutrition that tipped me off on the yumminess of Quinoa and now I'm a bit addicted to it. It's like a yummier, wheat free version of cous cous but it also has super powers - it's utterly packed with protein! This serves makes around 3 large portions or 4 medium :)

First, chop a small onion and a clove of garlic and saute them over a medium heat in a little olive or rapeseed oil.


Now add 1 cup of quinoa and stir until the quinoa smells slightly toasted and is coated in a little oil.


Next add two cups of water, 1.5 teaspoons of stock powder (I used Marigold Bouillion) and a tin of your favourite beans/pulses (I like to used borlotti or black eye beans but I'm sure chickpeas or green lentils would work well too)


Simmer over a medium heat and add your herbs and spices! I don't really measure but I'd say I use around 1/2-1 tsp of each: cumin seed, cayenne (maybe a little more like 1/4 tsp), tumeric, garam masala, dill, ground coriander, basil, galangal (not pictured - it's a bit like ginger) and za'tar. I also add a good grind of salt and pepper. As always, I recommend you play around with the seasonings and go with what works for you!


Give it a good stir and then add around 1/4 cup each of shredded coconut and flaked almonds.


Next chop your veggies - it's your choice of what you have. I tend to go with a delicious organic beef tomato, 1/4 of a cucumber and a whole grated carrot. If I'm feeling flash, I sometimes add a little organic radish (SO much nicer than normal radishes), avocado or courgette too.


Your quinoa should be cooked after about 15 minutes - make sure you give it regular stirs and add a little extra water if nessecary. You'll know it's finished when it sort of splits open into lovely fluffy grains and all the water is gone - it shouldn't need draining. When it's cooked, turn off the heat and stir in your veggies. I also add a splash of vegan worcester sauce for an extra little lift.

Ta-da!


Utterly delicious - I strongly advise you have a play around and make this! It takes less than 20 minutes from start to finish and is filled with delicious nutritious yumminess! Enjoy :)

5 comments:

  1. That looks SO good, thank you for sharing the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG sounds amazing, have had quinoa once or twice before & really liked it... Def bookmarking this recipe to try :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've only used quinoa twice before, and both ways were boring. I have bookmarked this recipe to try something new. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow..this must taste lovely!
    I agree with comingupeassy...all my quinoa experiences were a bit boring but I think the key is the other ingredients that go with it.
    I'll defo try this. I have to check that the quinoa box I have is not stale first LOL!.
    X

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ilwen - it's amazing! And you're welcome :) x

    Nic - excellent! Let me know what you think :)

    Comingupeasy - I know what you mean... I'd only ever had it cooked plain on the side and found it really dull! This is much more flavoursome!

    Mercedes - haha yeah ours was verging on out of date but it just about managed. I think it's the tastey add ins that make it fun!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments and thoughts are really appreciated :) Thank you for taking the time to chat xx